LAYA SEGHI, LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist with over 30 years of experience treating anxiety, depression and trauma. While coming from a depth psychology orientation, focusing on the personal and collective subconscious, she has since become passionate about sharing the benefits of a mind-body approach. She uses energy medicine to teach tools for self-care and to help people clear blocks, reprogram negative beliefs, correct imbalances in the body-mind and relieve stress in multiple ways.
Some of the modalities of treatment that she uses are:
- PSYCH-K® – to free oneself from limiting sub-conscious beliefs
- NET – (Neuro-Emotional Technique) for finding and removing neurological imbalances in the body-mind
- EMDR – (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing) for desensitizing traumas both big & small
- BODYTALK SYSTEM – for improving communication between the body/mind to improve health at all levels
- BACH FLOWER ESSENCES – a system of flower remedies that corrects emotional imbalances
- EFT – (Emotional Freedom Technique) – to reduce anxiety and mental blocks
- Hypnosis – to achieve balance between the conscious & subconscious minds
- BodyIntuitive – combines the latest research and advances in Western science with the ancient wisdom of the Eastern healing tradition of Chinese medicine
Read more about each modality below:
- BodyIntuitiveBody Intuitive combines the latest research and advances in Western science with the ancient wisdom of the Eastern healing tradition of Chinese medicine. Developed by Dr. Janet Galipo, Doctor of Oriental Medicine and internationally renowned Senior BodyTalk Instructor together with Dr. Laura Stuve, a Ph.D. molecular biologist and also a Senior Instructor of BodyTalk mind-body medicine, the Body Intuitive approach uses structured medical intuition to get at the story behind symptoms and disease.
- PSYCH-KThe Psych-K® process can change habitual negative beliefs rapidly and permanently, so that new behaviors and possibilities can occur. Using a muscle-testing procedure (kinesiology) as a psychological tool to communicate directly with the subconscious, beliefs that do not support conscious goals can be identified. Then, with balancing techniques that facilitate the communication between the conscious and subconscious mind, conflict or stress is quickly resolved. The results are immediate, verifiable and long-lasting.Early childhood experiences are the foundation of our beliefs, perceptions and habits. Along with instincts and conclusions drawn from previous experiences (such as a bad relationship or a trauma), these early “programs” are stored in the subconscious mind. Since the subconscious accounts for about 95% of our neurological processing abilities (according to current research), attempts to take charge of one’s life and change negative behavior using willpower or positive thinking alone are limited at best.
- Neuro Emotional Technique® (NET)If you’re in a weakened state due to factors such as stress or physical trauma, everyday emotional responses may not fully resolve as they naturally should. Later in our lives, when we experience a similar situation, an old emotional response can kick in.
Individually, we rarely see the link between a past event and our present situation. This is where NET is crucial — NET can help identify an old unresolved event (real or imagined) and help your body release its lingering emotional response. For good!
People used to think that emotions resided entirely in their brain. Now we know that other parts of the body can hold emotional charges too. Have you ever felt butterflies in your stomach before a speech? Have you referred to something as a “pain in the neck?” Have you ever felt a “lump in your throat?” Clearly emotions happen in our body, not just our brain.
NET practitioners can find unresolved, negatively-charged emotional responses that are stored in your body and help you release them. It’s fast, it’s fun, and it can dramatically improve your health.
- EMDREMDR is an extraordinary method of therapy developed by Dr. Francine Shapiro in 1987. Based on the chance observation that eye movements can reduce the intensity of disturbing thoughts under certain conditions, her scientific research proved the success of EMDR in treating victims of trauma. Subsequently, the method has been expanded to include other varieties of stimulation besides eye movements.
EMDR has also proven effective in relieving anxiety, stress and other psychological issues in addition to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Integrating elements from different treatment approaches – imagery, cognitive, emotional and body awareness – EMDR seems to have a direct effect on the way that the brain functions. Incidents and issues that evoked stress at the beginning of a session can be processed in a rapid way so that a new, more resourceful perspective is achieved. A painful memory may be resolved as it is associated with a more positive thought and belief about oneself; for example, “I did the best I could.”
During an EMDR session, a client calls to mind the disturbing issue or event to be cleared. My role is to facilitate setting up an appropriate target according to the EMDR protocol and to guide the bilateral stimulation of the brain. This can be done either:
Visually – through shifting eye movements;
Auditorially -by alternating sounds to the right and left ear; or
Kinesthetically – by alternating tapping movements on the client
During that portion of stimulation, the client recalls and integrates various aspects of the issue, with or without talking about it. EMDR is a method used within standard “talking” therapy, as an adjunct to therapy, or as a treatment all by itself. In a short period of time, it can be remarkably effective for relieving long-held suffering.
- BodyTalkThe BodyTalk System™ is a comprehensive system of energy medicine first developed in the 1990’s by Dr. John Veltheim of Australia. Based on the principle that the body is capable of healing itself at all levels, it can be used to address physical, mental and emotional health issues, either on its own or integrated with other treatment modalities.
BodyTalk asks the body what its health needs are through a biofeedback technique similar to muscle testing. The Yes/No communication established works through the BodyTalk protocol to identify the areas and details that need attention. The areas (e.g. organs, endocrines, body parts, etc.) are linked in the sequence indicated, thereby constructing a formula to reestablish optimum communication among all the systems of the body. A tapping procedure on the brain (to ‘fix’ the faulty communication) and on the heart (to ‘store’ the fix) facilitates the body’s ability to restore and maintain better balance.
- Bach Flower EssencesBach Flower Essences Bach Flower Essences were developed by Dr. Edward Bach, an English physician and bacteriologist in the 1930′s. Each of the 38 remedies is directed at a particular characteristic or emotional state. Bach’s remedies focus on treatment of the personality which he believed to be the ultimate root cause of disease.
- EFTEmotional Freedom Techniques, or EFT, breathes fresh air into the emotional therapy process by borrowing from the Chinese meridian system. While acupuncture, acupressure and the like have been primarily focused on physical ailments, EFT stands back from this ancient process and points it directly at emotional issues. These, in turn, often provide benefits for performance and physical issues. It is dramatically different from conventional therapy practices and that is why it often works where nothing else will. If you are looking for something conventional, you came to the wrong place.
In essence, EFT is an emotional version of acupuncture, except we don’t use needles. Instead, we use a simple two pronged process wherein we (1) mentally “tune in” to specific issues while (2) stimulating certain meridian points on the body by tapping on them with our fingertips. Properly done, EFT appears to balance disturbances in the meridian system and thus often reduces the conventional therapy procedures from months or years down to minutes or hours.
Working with Laya is always such an experience, filled with lots of insight and instant results! I’ve been working with Laya on and off for 5 years, every time I’m faced with issues that others can’t find solutions to, she seems to help me shift instantly. Every session is always filled with such ease, energy and enjoyment! – Penelope R., Miami
Laya is wonderful and what she does is amazing. She has been treating my family and friends and every single one of these experiences has been phenomenal. You can do traditional psychotherapy for many years, and not even come close to what Laya can do in 10 minutes. She can address a variety of issues – from marital issues and relationship struggles to health issues. I seriously can’t recommend her highly enough!!! She’s a miracle worker.–Katia R., Miami
Laya is a true healer. I have had two sessions so far with incredible results. She can truly take years of pathology, connect the dots and clear the path in just 10 minutes. I can’t wait to go back!–Rakesh P., Miami Beach